Dear WPBR Coaches, Players & Families,
We hope you and your family are healthy and safe. As all of us are working through the COVID-19 pandemic, we know that one day soon we will play baseball and softball once again. The Winter Park Babe Ruth Board and the City of Winter Park Parks and Rec department are in constant contact as well as the National, State, and District of Cal Ripken & Babe Ruth League. As I mentioned in my earlier email to you, we will continue to follow Orange County School Board actions during this time.
We have been hoping for the best for the 2020 Spring season. Further communication regarding operations for the remainder of the season are coming. In the meantime, we have stopped collecting payments for anyone on a payment plan for registration fees. The costs for the season are largely at the beginning of the season for uniforms, insurance, baseballs, and other equipment. Ongoing expenses include payments for umpires, which we incurred at the beginning of the season. Please be aware that should we be permitted; we have a plan for getting a condensed season in.
Throughout history, baseball and softball have helped us through some difficult times. We look forward to when we can safely get back on the field and hear the words. “Play Ball.”
Our website has some helpful tips that were provided by AdStarr/Dick’s Sporting Goods about baseball/softball training during these times. Look under League Info tab then “How to Guides”. You will also find some good information courtesy of our friends at the Greater Orlando Sports Commission and one of our parents, Jason Seigel.
• Visit these pages for the most critical local health and government updates:
• City of Orlando
• Orange County
• Osceola County
• Lake County
• Seminole County
A drive-through, appointment only testing site for COVID-19 opened at UCF on Monday, April 6 in partnership with Aventus Biolabs.
• The drive-thru testing site at the Orange County Convention Center is still available to anyone exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms AND anyone with a pre-existing medical condition. First responders and healthcare workers are also able to get tested, regardless of symptoms. More information can be found here. Testing site directions and map are here.
• AdventHealth has established a central hub for people who want to support health care employees on the front lines through donations of funds, materials, or sharing words of encouragement.
Around The Horn.
• While Orlando City and Orlando Pride matches are postponed, the Club is establishing a new ritual: virtual gamedays. #AllForORL is a way to support your favorite local gameday stops on your virtual march to the match and choose to donate a few dollars or order food for takeout or delivery.
• Orlando Magic Gaming invited several Florida streamers/influencers to join them in raising money for Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida on Wednesday, April 8. Follow them on Twitter for the full streaming schedule, and don't forget to watch Orlando Magic game replays on Fox Sports Florida all week long.
• The USTA is one of many sports organizations offering their venues to help support health officials in their local region.
• Planet Fitness is making it easy to stay in shape from home, even if you aren’t a member. Tune into Facebook Live for daily “Home Work-Ins” at 7pm featuring Planet Fitness trainers and special guests! Each workout will be available to view on the Planet Fitness Facebook page and YouTube channel after the broadcast.
• In collaboration with the leading organizations in golf, Augusta National Golf Club has identified November 9-15 as the intended dates to host the 2020 Masters.
• ESPN will salute the Masters Tournament with encore presentations of the final rounds of two of Tiger Woods’ five wins, Jack Nicklaus’ victory in 1986 and other classic editions of the iconic event over three days beginning Wednesday, April 8.
• The WNBA will hold its draft on April 17, as originally scheduled, without a gathering of draftees, media or fans.
• The Overwatch League has decided to play the remainder of its 2020 regular season via online matches.
Fun & Games.
• City of Orlando Bingo!
• Orlando Health Pet Therapy
• Improve Your Handle with the Magic's Mo Bamba
• Solar Bears Crossword
• Orlando Pride Zoom Backgrounds
• Make breakfast with Orlando City's Kamal Miller
• Easter egg decorating around the world from the Orlando
• Color & Fill In The Blank with Monster Jam
• Zoom backgrounds from ALL of your favorite Pixar movies
• You can't go wrong with Orlando Magic STUFF highlights
• Rip Ride Rockit from home with Universal Orlando
Thank you for your continued support during this unusual time. We will be in touch again soon. We will also post updates on Facebook, Instagram, and our website.
On behalf of the Winter Park Babe Ruth Board we thank you for your support of Winter Park Babe Ruth League.
President of WPBR